Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Quilter Has to Eat

I'm not a person who loves to cook. On the other hand, I don't hate it either, because I do enjoy eating tasty food. My goal in the kitchen is to get in and back out in an hour's time, and that includes unloading the dishwasher. In my experience the best meals to meet that objective are those prepared in one pan, like the Mexican Cabbage Stir-fry shown above. (The original recipe came from Healthy Southwest Cooking, but I've tweaked it a bit.)

Ingredients:
2.5 lbs ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
1-2 Tbsp olive oil to sauté the turkey (or spray the pan with Pam)
1 lg tomato, chopped (or one can diced tomatoes)
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
½ head of cabbage, shredded with knife
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin

Sour cream (optional)

In a 5 qt saucepan, brown the ground turkey together with onion, and garlic. Add oregano and cumin while browning. When turkey is browned, add the tomatoes, cabbage, and peppers. Cook until the veggies are done—approximately 20 minutes.

You can eat as is, top with sour cream, or put the mixture into a tortilla.

It's a large recipe, so smaller families are likely to have leftovers. In my house, leftovers are enjoyed at lunch the next day. However, I've also frozen this dish and whipped it out as "brand new" a couple of weeks later. It freezes well.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, it's even gluten-free, so I could eat it! I am going to try this. I might sub some diced tomatoes with jalapenos and have it with guacamole instead of sour cream. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks pretty tasty....thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the cooking thing. I've never been fond of cooking. I will have to try this. It looks like an easy recipe, and very tasty. I wonder how it would be with TVP. My daughter is vegan and my husband and son are omnivores. This means we often have two separate meals cooking at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure about the TVP since I've never eaten it, but imo, cumin makes everything taste better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day. :-)