Monday, May 17, 2010

Drunkard's Path, Past and Future


I am very partial to quilts with curved lines (or even the illusion of curved lines as in Storm at Sea). Drunkard's Path not only has curved lines, it's very versatile with many possible design layouts. A few of the many variations with their names are shown here.

The blue Drunkard's Path shown above, is hand-pieced and tied. I finished it back in 2005, although I'd started it several years before. It was one of those projects that got derailed by a major move--actually three moves in a year and nine months. The partially completed quilt spent a several years in a box before I was able to get organized and again turn my attention to quilting.

When I'd started the quilt, I'd intended to hand-quilt it, but by the time I was actually able to work on it again, it had spent so long unfinished that I used the quickest method, tying, to finish it. This left me feeling a bit dissatisfied. I vowed to make another.

I used Electric Quilt 5 to design the bed-sized Drunkard's Path below:


I imagine that this Drunkard's Path design layout has a name, but I've been unable to locate it. Hard to believe, however, that I would be the first to come up with this one. The design measures 92" square, and will require 484 units. The units are 4" square. I'm hoping that 92" will be large enough. If not, I'll need to make some modifications. I've bought the off-white background fabric, and have begun cutting the scrappy pieces.

This is going to be so much fun!

11 comments:

  1. if i had the energy and ambition i'd see how the DP block works with 3D folded square on the one corner, then roll back the edge to get your curve unit. i'm tired and have no motivatation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea the DP block was so versatile. Really cool EQ quilt you've designed. 484 units is a lot of DP blocks, all to be hand pieced, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. Your blue quilt is gorgeous, and I love the string border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the blue and the newly-designed quilts are just beautiful, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blues and white, another of my favorite color combinations. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day Michelle I am going to able to make quilts that look as complicated as this. I will probably be 104 years old , but I am determined to move away from squares and rectangles, and easily put together circles.

    This quilt is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drunkard's path does make a fun quilt. Your's is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its dizzying to look at - I see *exactly* where its gets its name. Love the "Mediterranean" feel I get when admiring it though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love the blue Drunkard's path and your new design is even more amazing. Much luck to you! Keep us posted because that is a really fantastic design you've come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Great application of a scrappy look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Drunkard's path in blue. The one you designed is called 'lover's knot' I believe. I like the bright colours with white in that design.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day. :-)