Monday, May 31, 2010

The Quilting Bucket List

My buddy, P, from over at The Way I Sew It, and I were discussing quilting one day (like what else?), and she asked me a very pertinent question: "What's on your quilting bucket list?" I had to laugh since I'd never heard the "some day" list referred to as a "bucket list". Yet upon further pondering I realized there is a subtle difference between the quilting "some day" list and a quilting "bucket list". The bucket list brings those quilts into sharp focus. These are the quilts you will try to make before you die. The "some day" list implies wishing and hoping that you'll take the time to make the quilts on the list, whereas the bucket list implies if you're really serious about making these quilts, you'd better quit wishing and hoping, and actually do something about it.

So I'm adding a new sidebar to my blog, called My Quilting Bucket List. The list will grow as I blog about the quilts I want to make. Today, I will add The Double String Pinwheel, designed by P at The Way I Sew It. (Seems only fitting that her quilt should be the first entry since she started this whole thinking process.)



This quilt appeals to me on so many levels. First, it is scrappy. I love scrappy quilts--all bright, cheerful, and fascinating. Simply, they make me happy. Secondly, it will be so cool to make a quilt designed by my dear friend. Lastly, the quilt incorporates string piecing, which I've always wanted to try.

As stunning as P's quilt is in red and blue, my curiosity about what it will look like using other color combinations is driving me to choose other colors. I haven't yet decided on which two. I've considered a cool combination like purple and green, and yet, I find the idea of purple and orange fascinating. Green and yellow might give it a spring feel. Ah, so many possibilities! However, my scrap box doth grow, so before long, I'll really need to get serious.

If you're interested, you can find the four parts of P's Double String Pinwheel tutorial here, here, here, and here.

9 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I love this post! Reproducing a Baltimore quilt is in my bucket list. I have tried to keep this list of mine pretty short... unlike my cross-stitch list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point about the difference between a 'bucket' list and a 'someday' list. But I really would like to make them all (lol!). That scrappy string pinwheel quilt is really awesome! Thanks for more inspriation :D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I've never heard that before, but it does make sense! Inspired by your NYB, I'd like to make one too. Errrrh... I am going to make one! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have about 10 quilts on my bucket list and I'm working through some of them this year.

    No doubt I'll add more to the list as I get more confident. And more obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green and purple, purple and orange--both great combinations! Difficult choices ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am so honored you added the double pinwheel string quilt to your bucket list! Whatever colors you choose, it is going to be beautiful and unique because it will showcase your own scraps and personality. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, love that quilt! Love how the red sashing echoes the red in the blocks. Love the blue too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt-but I despise templates sp I would probably never make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is food for thought! I know that in my mind I have a quilting "bucket list" which is different than all of the quilts I want to "make right now". I think I will document my bucket list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day. :-)