Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pansy Quilt Top Done

The Pansy quilt top is done! It's nice to have this WIP reach the halfway point. This is one of those projects that spent a year or two languishing before I got organized.


(Sorry, I can't take a picture without Charley doing his Vanna White routine.)

The majority of the blocks came from a swap organized on the RTCQ newsgroup. It was called the "Your Pick" swap because we each selected our own focus fabric--mine being the pansy fabric. Then we cut 12" squares of our fabric, and sent one square to each of the other participants. We received beautiful blocks back in return. How cool is that?

In my opinion, block swaps are a lot of fun because the swaps have often forced me to work with other colors and fabrics that might not be my first choice, thereby stretching my quilting skills, and I receive blocks back that I wouldn't have made myself. For example, I received a couple of lovely appliqued blocks for the pansy quilt. Applique really isn't a part of my quilting repertoire yet, but nevertheless, I'm now lucky enough to be able to include it on this quilt.

Even after I got focused on the pansy quilt, it took me a long time to finish the top. I decided to do the pieced butterfly border. There are 52 six inch butterfly blocks on this top. These border blocks proved to be more work than the rest of the quilt! I've often admired pieced borders, and wondered why they aren't used more often. Now I know. Still I am very pleased with how the border looks on my bed.



I'll be linking up over at Amylouwho's for Sew and Tell Friday. Be sure to check out everybody else's lovely work.

19 comments:

  1. Wow! That is really gorgeous and the pansy fabric is my favorite. I like the swap idea! And your pieced border is great.

    Oh, and if I didn't mention it, thanks for changing you comments settings! I totally appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is a gorgeous, gorgeous quilt! The butterfly border is fabulous! It really kicks it up a notch, as Emeril would say. Boy, you can tell there's many hours of work in that quilt, but it's sure worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops- the previous comment was meant for this post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful!.

    Perhaps Charlie could be paid to show off quilts, since he seems to do so well with yours. He adds that extra touch of hominess to things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great looking quilt!
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like the butterfly border. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the white sets the blocks off. I don't know how you got that border to fit so well, but it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sampler quilt and I love the butterfly border!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charley knows a beautiful quilt when he sees it! So glad you had fun with a swap project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the butterflys... I agree, when you swap with others, you stretch your limits. Charley seems right at home too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Charley makes me laugh :o)

    Wow you pieced the border, I'm not worthy!!! The whole quilt top looks amazing and the colors are great together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those butterflies are beautiful - and they look like they are a lot of work. The quilt looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a purple person, and just love your pattern and color combo!!! Great job!!!

    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really amazing quilt! I can see how that border took a considerable amount of time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The butterflies are the perfect finishing touch! Definitely worth the work it took you to piece the border, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great swap quilt. Your butterfly border is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great quilt! I love swaps. I agree with you, they make you try different colors and patterns. I think the quilt goes lovely on that bed and your purple paint is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is gorgeous. I'm trying to somehow "subscribe" to your RSS through my livejournal so I can keep up with this - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! Love the pieced butterfly border! It suits the bed & room (purple wall) perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day. :-)