Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Newton, KS

1923-2011
I was at work Monday when I received the call that our grandmother had taken a turn for the worst.  As of last weekend, Lori and I knew her time was short, but we expected it to be measured in days; not hours.  
 
We quickly made arrangements to make the trip north.  It was not without the help of many people.  Eric's parents took the children, and my co-workers covered my scheduled work hours.  We packed the car, and Eric drove the six hours to Kansas.

She was in a coma when we arrived.  Our biggest contribution was to sit watch while our grandfather and my mom (her daughter-in-law) got some sleep.  Lori doted on our grandmother during that time. 
 
She passed away at 10AM this morning.  Her suffering is over.

15 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry for your loss, Michelle. Draw strength from your family.
    pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! It is so hard to lose a grandmother. I know first-hand. I wish I knew what to say to help. Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Again, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Michelle. It is good to have your family close by to help each other through such a sad time.
    Hugs,
    Marg
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrapping you in hugs and prayers this morning, Michelle, as I understand the pain of losing someone as much loved and special as a grandmother. What a beautiful lady! Be comforted in knowing you were able to be with her before her passing. May her memory be eternal. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss, Michelle. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear this Michelle, glad you are there to be with your family.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss, Michelle. Thank goodness your family is all together at this terrible time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear this news Michelle. Im thinking of you and your family and sending you all my best and warm thoughts.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle dear, my thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((((Michelle))))) I am so, so sorry hon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. BIG Hug to you and your family, Michelle, especially to your Grandfather. You are in our thoughts. Remember all the good times and happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear this, Michelle! My prayers are with you and your family..... She looks like she was a very lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray that your Grandfather will get through this tough time in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so sorry to hear about your loss. your grandmother was beautiful. hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments brighten my day. :-)